Saturday, October 1, 2011

Lazy Weekend (and Pumpkin Risotto Recipe)

It's a lazy day here this morning.  The kind where the clock has struck 9 and I am still sitting here in my Pj's sipping on my re-heated coffee and ignoring last night's dinner plates stacked up on the kitchen counter.  Heath is home today after spending the last 10 days on the tractor....so he and Macie are off for some quality time catching fish and yabbies....and I am just enjoying the serenity.


It's amazing how much I reflect when I am alone.  Maybe because it's such a rare occasion to be alone - or maybe it's because I have the time to reflect and be ever so thankful.  It's been another fantastic week at the Dalli Cottage with my sister and my beautiful 8 week old nephew Archer coming to stay two nights to keep us company.  Em's husband was away working and Heath was on the tractor so we decided to join forces, help each other out and most importantly, keep each other company.  We did more than that - we laughed until we thought we would wet our pants and we confided in each other until tears welled up in our eyes.  We had that serious sister-bonding times and found it surreal that we were sitting together, cuddling our babies and talking about our beautiful lives.....we are most certainly blessed.


It was particularly heart-warming for me to watch Macie with her little cousin Archer.  She was so gentle and affectionate and would happily lie with him and watch some TV.  Archer loved her just as much - and would smile whenever Macie was in his face!  So beautiful to watch and makes me so excited about our new little arrival due in February.  We had our 20 week scan yesterday where we were given the all-clear and I am starting to feel more kicks so it's all becoming SO real. 

As per usual, the entertaining guides were against me and we lost power for over 2 hours on the first night - while Emma was mid-way through cooking her a-m-a-z-i-n-g risotto.  The power would come on for 3 minutes then go off for 10.  It was a sight to behold - but after the 7th time it went off - we declared defeat and instead had jatz, banana bread and strawberries for dinner. 

Never one to be outdone though....Em proceeded to make her beautiful risotto before leaving and it would be rude of me not to share it with you.  Do yourself a favour and take the time to cook this - it is beautiful, light and perfect with a glass of wine (I just imagined that my water was a crisp Sav Blanc). 
Photo out of recipe book....
Em's Pumpkin Risotto
Adapted from Masterchef recipe

4 cups of Chicken stock (Em uses the premade carton of stock)
60g butter
1 onion - finely diced
1 garlic clove - crushed
1 1/2 cups of arborio rice
1/3 cup white wine
200g pumpkin - Em chops into cubes, cooks and then mashes before placing into the risotto
1/4 cup parmesan cheese

1.  Warm stock in saucepan and keep warm until required for risotto
2.  Place Pumpkin and butter in saucepan and cook while stirring to ensure that the pumpkin does not burn.  If required, add more butter until very soft.  Mash until smooth. 
3.  Melt 1/3 butter into frypan and cook onion and garlic over medium heat.  Add the rice and coat in the butter.  Pour the wine in around the edge of the pan.
3.  Add the hot stock mixture a little at a time (use a coffee cup) - just enough to cover the rice.  Simmer, shake, stir until the stock is absorbed.  Keep adding the stock in batches - this will take about 20 - 25 minutes - until all stock is in and rice is al dente.
4.  Add the pumpkin puree and parmesan to the rice.  Gently fold through until combined.  You can add lots or little - the choice is most certainly yours.  Spoon onto plate - garnish with salt, pepper, feta (optional) and even basil if you are adventurous.  You could even drizzle with olive oil although I love it just with the salt and pepper.

Although it's a dish that requires your attention for 30 minutes - it is SO worth it.  This feeds 5 adults easily and is so yummy!!  Have fun!!

Happy Weekend.  With the look of the clouds - some baking, painting and craft may be on the agenda.  Heath and Moo just walked through the door and I am still here..........OOPS!! X

On another note.....I haven't even be able to post this post on Saturday as I was too absorbed in my family.....Happy Sunday everyone!!

PS  I received a photo of my beautiful "Martha Stewart" friend's recipe collection.....here is the comparison between hers and mines!  Should I be embarrased that she offered to 'organise' mine?!?!  NO WAY - just means she loves me, right?!  TOOO funny!!

No comments:

Post a Comment